REPSSI Media Relations
REPSSI works through a network of partners in 13 countries in East and Southern Africa. Through them, we reach over 5 million children across the region.
REPSSI is committed to working in partnership with the media, to share quality and relevant information about the wellbeing of children in East and Southern Africa. If you are a journalist, editor or coordinator of an information network, we would be happy to work with you on stories, and provide background information or interviews.
To arrange interviews or commentary, contact our Regional Communications Officer, Sarah Demian, by calling +27 11 998 5820 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. National media contacts are available at the bottom of this page.
Latest press releases
REPSSI provides expert commentary on issues relevant to the social and emotional wellbeing of vulnerable children. Click here for a list of our press releases.
Stories and profiles
REPSSI visits projects across Africa, to interview children, families and communities about how they are overcoming the challenges they face. Video footage, photos and transcripts are available. Here are some recent samples:
- Changing Childcare Gender Roles
- Attitudes to Death, Inheritance & Adoption
- Increasing Child Participation
Regional Fact Sheet: Children’s Wellbeing
Click here to download a 1-page fact-sheet on the wellbeing of children in the region.
REPSSI can provide expert commentary or input on issues relevant to the social and emotional wellbeing of vulnerable children. Contact our Regional Communications Office by calling +27 11 998 5820 or emailing email@example.com.
Regional Media Awards
The Media Institute of Southern Africa and REPSSI have recently launched a new annual regional media award for excellence in reporting on children’s social and emotional needs. More information will be posted here soon.
Guidelines for reporting on children’s issues
REPSSI, in partnership with the Media Institute of Southern Africa, has established a Regional Reference Group on Children and the Media. Members of the Reference Group include UNICEF East and Southern Africa, Save the Children, the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund, and others. Together, we are drafting a set of agreed regional guidelines, and accompanying training, on ethical reporting on children’s issues. Click here to contact us for further information.
Receive REPSSI stories and press releases
Sign up to our media database, to receive regular stories and press releases on the wellbeing of children in the region. Click here to send us your details.
National media contacts
REPSSI has staff based in most of the 13 countries we cover. For information or interviews specific to a particular country, please contact our spokespersons at the details below:
- Angola: Please use Zimbabwean contact, Alex Tigere, firstname.lastname@example.org, +263 4 700 367
- Botswana: David Gwasira, email@example.com, +263 4 700 367
- Kenya: Karesma Mushi, firstname.lastname@example.org, +255 222 461 655
- Lesotho: Makananelo Makape, email@example.com, +27 11 998 5820
- Malawi: George Alufandika, firstname.lastname@example.org, +265 888 412 824
- Mozambique: Julio Mutemba, email@example.com, +258 21414542
- Namibia: Nicolette Bessinger, firstname.lastname@example.org, +264 61 220461
- South Africa: Sarah Demian, email@example.com, +27 11 998 5820
- Swaziland: Sarah Demian, firstname.lastname@example.org, +27 11 998 5820
- Tanzania: Edwick Mapalala, email@example.com, +255 222 461 655
- Uganda: Michael Byamukama, firstname.lastname@example.org, + 256 772 750628
- Zambia: Kelvin Ngoma, email@example.com, +260 211 256 478/9
- Zimbabwe: David Gwasira, firstname.lastname@example.org, +263 4 700 367